Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Dishes Never Endeth

Something is wrong with my son's tummy.

But it's getting better.

He was diagnosed with colitis in January, right before turning 4. We had some diagnostic tests run to figure out why he wasn't growing, why he had constant diarrhea, why he was tired and whiny and why his little tummy was so bloated.

There's a family history of Celiac Disease and some of the symptoms matched up so we were anticipating that as a possible diagnosis. After the scopes, the doctor informed us his colon was in bad shape.

The official diagnosis came a few days later, after the biopsy and blood test results came back, along with prescriptions for antibiotics and steroids. However, they were not immediately available at the pharmacy.

Google was available, though.

I typed in "diet for colitis" and the Specific Carbohydrate Diet popped up as a result. Since we thought he may have Celiac Disease, we were mentally prepared for managing a condition with diet. His doctor offered a few tips when I asked him after the diagnosis - limit sugars, avoid processed meats and foods. The initial thinking that he had a carbohydrate malabsorption issue (summer 2015) was in fact accurate. His body doesn't properly use carbohydrates in certain forms.

What is the Specific Carbohydrate Diet? It's a grain-free, low starch, monosaccharide diet. Nothing processed. Almost nothing with an ingredient label. No potatoes, sweet potatoes, parsnips, turnips or other starchy roots. Honey is the only sweetener (and what a fine option it is!) Meat, well-aged cheese, fruit, colorful veggies, nuts and homemade yogurt fermented for 24 hours to eliminate the lactose are all part of the daily routine here. (Currently, all fruit and veggies are well cooked to ease digestion. Nuts are very limited.)

Diet is not the typical mainstream medical recommendation for IBD. Usually people go on various medication to control the inflammation and their body's response to triggers. Over the course of a lifetime, the doses and medication strengths increase. When those (almost always) inevitably fail, surgery results. How could I subject my 4 year old to a lifetime of drugs only to face removal of his colon in 5, 10, 15, 20 years? Many people aren't diagnosed until late teens or adulthood.

This is my baby boy. I still push him on the swing. He sleeps with a stuffed lizard and chameleon.

It's a lot of work, chopping, shopping, stirring, steaming and roasting. Lots of dishes. But how blessed am I to have the privilege of stepping into my kitchen every day to help heal my son?

We feel a little socially isolated here at the start of this journey. I'm not quite feeling so buried in dishes but I haven't quite gotten to the point where I feel like jumping into hosting lots of people over for meals. So many things in our society revolve around FOOD and it's tricky right now.

I am retraining myself with the use of the word "hard." This diet - SCD - is not hard. It is work. Work is not hard, it's just work. It is my work. I hope one day when he is a grown man he will value work and appreciate the work it took to help him grow. It is my pleasure to afford him the chance to grow and develop, and to watch it happen.

Did I mention we are starting to see results? He is happy. He runs and jumps and plays outside all day (and sometimes in the dark). He volunteers to help me do things. He's growing. And as of this week, his bathroom visits are NORMAL. I know it's not delicate to talk about poop. But it's a big deal when your 4 year old has a normal bowel movement for the first time in his entire LIFE.

This diet works. We don't need a pharmacy, we need a farm. Since we are city folk, I'm getting creative with food storage.  We appreciate so much all of our friends and family staying informed and supportive with us on this journey. It means SO much for you to ask "How is he doing on the diet?" I am happy to answer any questions, any time! You may get a longer answer than you bargained for, so thanks for listening.

Visit the website: Breaking the Vicious Cycle website
Buy the book: Breaking the Vicious Cycle

1 comment:

  1. This is fantastic! A diagnosis is so empowering! I'm so glad y'all are able to respond and support him in this, and possibly even heal his colitis - that's huge. I am so encouraged by your reflection that it's not hard, it's just work. I need that attitude adjustment in my own life. Thank you for sharing this, and I will pray for your son to be healed.

    ReplyDelete