Monday, December 30, 2013

Christmas Eats!

My husband and I have been married for just over 14 years. This was our 15th Christmas together! From the very first year, we have made it tradition to be at home on Christmas day, and I make the big dinner for us, even when it was just for two! I always want my kids to have a calm(er) day at home on Christmas, without the hassle of travel on a holiday.

My goal this Christmas was to have healthier options than the traditional sugar- and sodium-packed rich foods I'm used to around the holiday time. I definitely feel that I accomplished this goal with a very simple menu!

We had:
Turkey (first time I have made one!!)
Sweet potato casserole
Green bean bacon bundles
Brussels sprouts
Cranberry sauce
Veggie tray
Plantain-chocolate cake
Dairy-free pumpkin pie

My plate!!


Turkey
I roasted the turkey, approx. 10 lbs, in the oven at 325 for about 4.5 hours. It was perfect! I stuffed a huge bunch of fresh rosemary in the cavity (because nothing says Christmas like your hand up a carcass!) and the flavor came through beautifully. I sprinkled salt and pepper on the outside and added about 6 cups of water so I could make broth later. After pulling all the meat off the bones, I dumped the bones and broth into my crockpot overnight for about 10 hours. I can't wait for some yummy soup with that stock!!

Sweet Potato Casserole
I baked 6 large sweet potatoes and peeled them after they were cooled. I did my prep work the day before, so I put the cooked potato in a container in the fridge. On Christmas, I mashed it with some butter (you could use ghee - butter does not give me any issues dairy-wise) and cinnamon, spread it in a buttered dish and sprinkled raw pecans on top. I baked it at 350 for about 40 minutes. The nuts came out delightfully toasty - I honestly did not miss the sugar in this dish at all!!

Sweet Potato Casserole and Cranberry Sauce

Green Bean Bacon Bundles
I prepped these the day before as well. Grab a handful of washed, snapped green beans and wrap with a piece of bacon. It's that simple! I usually cut the bacon in half, and that is just big enough to wrap around a small bundle. I baked them on a jelly roll pan at 425 for about 40 minutes, until the bacon is done. YUM. Even non-veggie-eaters gobble these up!

Brussels Sprouts
Wash and cut the stem off of Brussels sprouts, and remove the outer or any damaged leaves. I like to toss mine in olive oil or ghee and sprinkle with kosher or sea salt. Place on a jelly roll pan and roast at 425 until most outer leaves are browned. I usually stir a couple of times to get even coverage. I learned to make these when my husband issued me a challenge: he said he liked all veggies but Brussels sprouts. Well, now he loves them!! (He also issued the challenge with beets. That one was an utter failure, as it turns out I don't like beets, either!!) I have done this with frozen Brussels sprouts, and they are still delicious, but the texture is not as perfect as with fresh. But they work in a pinch!


Green Bean Bacon Bundles, Brussels sprouts and Veggie tray

Cranberry Sauce
I washed a bag of fresh cranberries and put in a sauce pan with the juice of two small oranges, 1 tbsp. sugar and a dash of cinnamon. Just simmer and stir until it's the consistency you prefer! I like my cranberry sauce TART. You can also add lemon or orange zest if you like! I would probably do two bags if I made it again, because it cooks down quite a lot!

Veggie Tray
My mom brought the veggies - celery, carrots, radishes and tomatoes. We always have celery and carrots in the fridge ready to eat, and this is a great snack when you're waiting for the meal to be ready. You can add a dip of your choice, but I love them just plain! A wonderful crunchy option on the plate!

Plantain-Chocolate Cake
A Facebook friend posted a link to this recipe (http://preparingitpaleo.com/2012/11/21/chocolate-cake/), and I just had to try it. It was so good!! My dad and daughter both had second helpings. My dad pronounced it "like fudge with frosting!" I used date puree instead of honey - pour about 1/3 c boiling water over 14 pitted dates and toss in the blender. That made enough for the cake and the frosting, which I made with the puree, coconut oil, chocolate chips, cocoa powder and cashew butter. It is definitely rich, but you will not miss the flour at all!!

It's as moist and rich as it looks!


Dairy-Free Pumpkin Pie
This was my grand experiment. I just did a direct sub for the evaporated milk with unsweetened vanilla almond milk! A can is 12 oz, so that's how much almond milk I used. It DID take about 40 minutes longer to bake than the recipe on the back of the can of pumpkin stated, but the result was delicious and I, a pumpkin pie EXPERT, could not detect a difference in flavor or texture. Win!

I loved how this food tasted, and even better, I loved how great I felt after eating it. No slumpy sugar-rush or carb coma. It was just the food we've learned to love, holiday-style. Don't be afraid to tweak traditional menu items to something that is healthier! You probably won't miss the sugar and salt overload, and you might even learn to like it better this way!

Stay yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment