Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Real Savings of Cloth Diapering

Everyone knows that one reason people use cloth diapers is the financial aspect - saving money! While it's true that using reusable, washable diapers can save money, especially if used for more than one child, I find that I can boost my savings significantly by making as many things as possible about my diapering system reusable. Enter cloth wipes!

You can find cloth wipes just about anywhere! Many people use baby washcloths, which are available at major retailers like Target and Wal-Mart (and some grocery stores); some cloth diaper companies manufacture cloth wipes; and of course, these items in a variety of fabrics are readily available from WorkAtHomeMommies on Etsy, eBay and many Facebook groups.

Some people use plain water to moisten their wipes if they have convenient access to a sink. Others place them in a wipe container (a warmer or just a plastic box) with solution poured over to mimic traditional disposable wipes. I prefer to have a spray bottle of solution at the change table, and I spray each wipe as I need it. I use Sheepish Grins Washy Wafers - I melt/dissolve two wafers in 2c of boiling water 1-2x a week.

 

Washy Wafers
 
 
 
 
The wipes basket. Must have been laundry day when I snapped this!
 


It's a very gentle formula and since I have started using cloth wipes instead of disposables, we have had ZERO rash issues! We used disposables initially, and even the "Sensitive Skin" ones left some kind of residue that contributed to a rash. Lil Dude's bottom has never looked so healthy and clear as when we use all cloth! I remember always having to slather ointment and cream on Chickadee when she was a baby. Oh how I wish I had started using soft cloth diapers with her!

Let's talk math. I spent about $60 on commercially made, thick wipes (I have some with velour/flannel, and some with a terry texture - about 40 wipes in all). There are cheaper options than that (you could even make your own from leftover receiving blankets or fabric scraps!) and obviously, more expensive options (but some bamboo blends CAN be used as boosters in the diaper in a pinch...versatility is always a win!). I buy the wipe solution tabs for $9.00, and that box lasts me for 6 months. So for the 2 years of cloth diapering we will do (I started when Lil Dude was 10 months...just guessing he'll be potty trained by 3?!), I will spend $36 on wipe solution tabs and the $60 on wipes...under $100!! What about disposable wipes? I usually bought the thickest sensitive ones ($$) and they ran about $0.02-0.03 per wipe. I have changed some "ten wipe wonder" diapers, so sometimes we went through them pretty fast!! (Another benefit of cloth wipes - just one does a great job, and the most I ever use is 3 for a really special diaper! ;) ) So let's figure an average of 20 wipes per day. 20 wipes at $0.025 = $0.50/day. $0.50 a day for two years is...$365. For WIPES THAT YOU THROW AWAY. Even if you only used 10 wipes a day, you'd still spend $182.50. And that is only for that child - if you cloth diaper subsequent children, you can reuse the cloth wipes and only have to purchase wipe solution! Once cloth diapering days are over, you have great household cloths or rags for small cleaning projects.

I use my diaper sprayer to clean off any solids off the wipes, then toss them right in the diaper pail. Which brings me to my next tidbit...cloth diapering pails are infinitely cuter (and more cost efficient) than any disposable diapering pail system. I used to hate the panic I had when I was out of bag inserts for the diaper pail for disposables. Not to mention the horrid "diaper sausages" (ick) that I bundled up more than once a week to stick in the trash. Dear future generations, I'm sorry for the poop I stuck in the landfill. It's so nice to have extra room in the trash can, along with not having big diaper boxes to get rid of!

I had, until just last week, been using hanging wetbags for dirty diaper storage. But AppleCheeks is coming out with their size 2 storage sac (biggest size) in the gorgeous, moody Steel Me. And I have to have it! I also picked up a sac in Coriander (minty green) during a Black Friday sale, so I went trash can shopping! I scored a metallic champagne pop-top can from Wal-Mart for under $10! The storage sacs retail new for about $25, but you can find them in EUC for $15 or less! (Guess what? Whether or not you cloth diaper, these sacs are perfect for travel laundry bags or wet swimwear storage. I'm so happy we've started becoming a household making an investment in reusable items.) Here's the result:


Don't you love the Winging It sticker?
 
 
 
 


 
So easy to use - pop the lid one-handed, toss diaper inside!


 
In my opinion, it's a lovely addition to our bedroom (where our changing area is)
 
 
 
It's easy to see how making the switch to cloth has helped realize significant household savings and the ease of not having to purchase and dispose of as many throw-away items. I take what steps I can along the way and am happy to see the results!
 
 
Stay Fluffy!


 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment